AW: Thermal disposition of Radioactive Material

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Richard Jones

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. August 2003 17:45

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: Thermal disposition of Radioactive Material

To all

I was wondering if there is anyone who may have some experience with

the thermal disposal of radioactive waste.  I work in our Radiation

Safety Department and we and the waste operation personnel of the plant

are considering this method of disposal, but I have some questions

regarding this.  Things such as ventilation, containmenth, hepa filter

use etc..

Richard,

It is not really clear for me, what kind of installation you are thinking

of. Thermal treatment of radioactive waste might be for low-level or

intermediate waste (or both). Thermal treatment of high-level waste is

hopefully not your task. What I know about are incineration plants, reducing

the volume (and the costs of disposal) of low- and intermediate radioactive

waste - this may be ion-exchange resins from water-purification units of

NPP, paper tissues used in nuclear installation, liquid scintillation waste

from in-vitro diagnostics etc. etc. The plants I know - and there must be

hundreds around the world - are complicated and commercial plants, highly

engineered and sophisticated. Even big hospitals usually do not have their

own incineration facilities, because they would emit radionuclides above

legal limits of I-131 or other radionuclides.

If you intend to get rid of radioactive waste, I would recommend to ship it

to the next available contractor, or if it is of an enormous volume that it

would pay to build an own waste incinderator I recommend to contact existing

plants in order to find out which company could construct it for you - good

luck!

Franz