AW: defining LDR

    -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

    Von: Dr Christoph Hofmeyr [mailto:chofmeyr@nnr.co.za]

    Gesendet: Montag, 01. September 2003 11:31

    An: Franz Schoenhofer

    Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

    Betreff: RE: defining LDR

    Dear Franz,

    You seem to have overlooked our (less civilised?) medical colleagues,

who are not subject to the same civilised limits, either for diagnostic or

therapeutic purposes.

    Chris Hofmeyr

    chofmeyr@nnr.co.za

        --------------------------------

        Chris,

        In the "civilised" world I know, medicine men - sorry, medical

colleagues - are exempted from all restrictions regarding dose limits,

because they have the sole responsibility for the benefit of the patient. A

high diagnostic dose of X-rays or from radionuclides, which detect serious

health detriments for patients and a high dose from nuclear medicine, which

cures illnesses like thyroid cancer which can be healed is justified. I

agree with that, also because of personal experience. But in the case of

severe misadministration of ionizing radiation or radioactive isotopes the

same "gods in white" (literarilly translated from German) will be held

responsible.

        As the ALARA principle suggests, the beneficial effect of ionizing

radiation has to exceed the possible detrimental effects.

        Best regards,

        Franz