Re: Hanford Site Cleanup Standards

It is unfortunate that these problems were not addressed before the mess

was made.  History tends to repeat its self though, one only need look

at the build up of junk in space.  Speaking of legislation, there was an

article in our local paper about an effort to reclassify the sludge in

the tanks at Hanford and waste at some other locations from "high level

waste" to something else to make it possible to leave it in the tanks

and just cap the area.   I don't remember the tanks being rated for long

term storage of  anything.

If the Hudson were to become "more contaminiated" with PCB's, would that

necessarily mean that more PCB's were being added, or that the amount of

contamination would remain the same and just be distributed

differently.  To be more contaminated then of course none of the

existing PCB's would be removed.  Certainly GE would not be responsible,

or the scientists and technologists that devised the method of cleanup.

Or would they?

Bob