RE: Hanford Site Cleanup Standards

> This is kind of like the "attractive nuisance" classification

> for a swimming pool - taken one step further

The difference here is that your neighbors don't sue you because a

family member *could have possibly* drowned in your pool, some actual

harm has to occur first. With radiation standards, a site may comply

with the law (which most agree is set to a conservative level), even

comply with ALARA, and anyone with cancer (which 20% of any population

living near any installation will of course have) can seek damages with

a good chance of winning, given the current conditions. They don't need

to win in court, an out-of-court settlement for some fraction of what

they sued for will do. If we applied practice with radiation standards

to swimming pools, all of us could become rich by suing all of our

neighbors that have pools, even if they were fenced in, screened in, and

monitored 24 hrs/day, claiming that one of our kids could theoretically

fall into them and drown.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068