Cleanup Standards/litigation

> However, when such a suit has

> been brought against a private company (like a utility), it

> has almost always been unsuccessful (I know of no case where

> it has been successful).

Hmm, maybe I need to correct my "good chance of winning" comment,

although I was including out of court settlements as "winning". To my

understanding, overall radiation litigation has been turning more

reasonable in the last 5 years. I was involved in a case many years back

where a woman won a large out of court settlement for severe deformities

to a fetus alleged to be related to low level medical exposures (one

Tc-99m MDP bone scan and an extremity x-ray). We see suits being brought

over radioactive baby teeth, 300 microSv worker exposures, etc., and I

don't know how many are settled out of court. I am aware of the Sept

2001 HPJ issue giving some basic info on radiation litigation practice;

where can one find a summary of experience with radiation litigation

(i.e. outcomes)? I did not find a Jose & Wiedis internet site in a few

searches.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068