RE: Hanford Site Cleanup Standards

"If a thousand people believe a foolish thing - it is still a foolish thing"    Anatole France

-----Original Message-----

From: Stabin, Michael [mailto:michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu]

Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 8:06 PM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Hanford Site Cleanup Standards

> 	Bill Lipton wrote, "Like it or not, perception is

> reality"

> 	Barbara Hamrick replied, "Whose perception?  The

> majority's?  Would that be the same majority that believed

> that 'separate, but equal' was just in 1896?  Or the majority

> that would have kept the sun revolving around the earth in 1615?"

Just because something is repeated a lot, it does not become true.

Politicians do this, and it can sway votes temporarily and win

elections, but in the long run truth wins, as with civil rights, women's

rights, and hey, even science. I repeat myself, but Pasteur did not

accept the 'reality' of spontaneous generation theory, even though it

was perceived to be true by the majority of *scientists*, and members of

the public, in his day; he systematically disproved it. If something is

folly, those who know better have an obligation to say so.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068