Re: Hanford Site Cleanup Standards and CERCLA

I suggest visiting the EPA Web site (www.epa.gov), and doing a search on "Hanford."  The first 2 documents are:  "Memorandum Re: National Remedy Review Board Recommendations for the Hanford Superfund Site Interim Remedial

Action for Spent Nuclear Fuel 'K Basins'", and "Memorandum Re:  National Remedy Review Board Recommendations for the Hanford Superfund Site, 100 and 300 Areas."

The former document includes the statement, "The board supports the region's [EPA Region 10] position that the 'K basins' pose serious threats to human health and the environment and should be addressed expeditiously.  The

board also supports the region's remedial action objectives, which rely on CERCLA authority to mitigate actual and threatened releases to nearby surface water and groundwater by removing hazardous substances (i.e. spent nuclear

fuel, sludge and other materials) from the basins."

Regarding your statement, "However, I still think it would be tough to prove that Hanfordm wilfully [sic] flouted then current regulations.":  I don't think that the EPA is saying that.  They don't have to, only that DOE has

created, "serious threats to human health and the environment ..."

Your past claims that CERCLA doesn't apply hint at the root cause of the problem.  In my dealings with DOE and DOE contractor employees, there seems to be a pervasive feeling that, somehow, they don't have to follow the rules.

"National security." "We're the experts." "We haven't caused any harm." "Don't get in the way of progress."   I've heard them all.

Now all of us are, literally, paying the price.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton