assessment of risk from doses recieved during a radiological accident

Before I begin, I would like to point out that I'm aware of the concerns

often cited on radsafe about the use of collective dose and the use of collective

doses to provide a value for future risk.  However when attempting to justify

the adoption or otherwise of measures to mitigate risk the UK regulators only

seem to accept arguments based on risk of death (and if using ICRP recommended

values of loss of quality of life).  This results in justifications which go

something like, if no action is taken the collective dose will be something of

the order A person Sv, and this will result in B deaths, alternatively if

some action is taken to mitigate the effects of the accident (classed as

intervention by the ICRP) then it will only result in a dose of X person Sv, and hence

 Y deaths.  A comparison can then be made about whether the benefit of

intervention outweighs the detriment from that intervention possible cost if it is

put in place before and accident or dose if individuals have to physically

intervene.

What I am interested in, is whether there are other ways of establishing

whether some form of intervention is justified, particularly where acute exposure

are considered.  The reason for this is that in circumstances of acute

exposure it is clear that the absorbed dose is the appropriate unit to use.  However

factors used to derive the absorbed dose in tissue from high LET radiation are

not designed to be used for estimates of risk (those stochastic effects that

may or may not occur).  There is guidance for quality factors (in ICRP 58) for

the RBE of high LET radiations for deterministic effects following acute

exposures.  However it is explicitly stated that these factors only apply to

deterministic effects, and not stochastic effects.

It would appear, to me at least, that in order to satisfy the regulator, we

can only calculate the collective dose in Sv and translate this into an overall

risk from the exposure.  This doesn't seem to be a sensible or even

justifiable approach.

I would be grateful if anyone could provide thoughts on alternatives.  Links

to publications/literature would be most helpful.

Regards,

       Julian