Re: DU suitcase shipment (reply)

In a message dated 9/12/2003 5:41:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,

jaro-10kbq@sympatico.ca writes:

As far as I know, according to US regulations, an unlicensed individual is

only allowed to own up to 8 lbs of DU -- making the 15 pound shipment

illegal & potentially subject to a fine.

Actually, the general license in the U.S. under NRC regulations, and (most,

probably all) Agreement States (I'm not sure about New York regulations in this

case) is for up to 15 pounds, although there may be registration requirements

that vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

As for the DOT regulations, it is my reading that this was an "excepted"

package, and could be shipped with only a modicum of controls (e.g., among other

things, marking on the inner package, less than 0.5 mr/hr at the surface, a

notice with some specific language containing the UN number and other

information, which I think I saw in one of the close-ups).

As far as I can tell, and I am not representing the opinion of anyone for

whom I might presently work, ABC was legally in possession and legally

transported the material.  The problem I haven't had a chance to work through is the

claim that the "radiation signature" would have been the same for a more heavily

shielded package of HEU.

OTOH, even if it would, it begs the question, what are we doing to remotely

detect shipments of smallpox, anthrax, ebola, sarin, etc.?  We could bring

international commerce to a halt and thoroughly inspect every single shipment

through every single port, but I expect the cure would be worse than the disease

in that case.

Barbara