RE: Article on radiation fear and disaster response.

Jaro's post:

> I re-posted the article on the Canadian nuclear listserv, and

> got an interesting - and I think quite valid - reply from a

> colleague (see below).

> Interesting reading.  But I'm not sure if the statement "We

> don't treat other spills and leaks so fearfully" is

> necessarily true.  Do you remember the media noise

> surrounding the transformer being moved in northern Ontario

> in 1985, the one that leaked PCB-laced oil?

and Maury's post of Bjorn's article:

> The warnings are from a research group that purposely during

> the past 20 years has consistently sounded the alarm about

> various hazards. This includes defoliants (Agent Orange) and

> lymph cancer, sweeteners and cancer, dioxins and cancer, blue

> cement houses and cancer, alcohol and cancer, breast feeding

> and cancer, electromagnetic fields and cancer, electrostatic

> fields and various illnesses and now, of course, the mobile

> telephone's radio waves and cancer.  A review of warnings in

> the media show that the same research group has issued

> warnings more than 100 times about various matters.

...are thought provoking. Radiation is not unique in being associated

with emotional and sometimes not scientifically based treatment in the

public arena. Certainly some much higher risk exposures are treated as

"no big deal", such as routinely observed spills of hazardous chemicals

which cause evacuations of whole communities but no activist groups and

actors calling for industries to be shut down. Others, however, ranging

from those involving serious exposures and real harm, to low exposures

and tenuous or nonexistent causative mechanisms, generate emotional

reactions, and cue the involvement of some of these activists (Tennessee

has lost the uranium enrichment project due to public opposition - the

jobs go to New Mexico. Now we have Erin Brockovich and Johnnie Cochran

Jr. investigating groundwater contamination from a landfill in Dickson

County, TN and possible effects on drinking water and health in the

community). In some cases, the activists were right, and without their

voices, needed action (site cleanup and victim compensation) would not

have been taken. In others, the activists are at best wrong and at worst

practicing a mild form of terrorism for financial and political gain,

and their voices should be overridden by voices of reason. As noted "In

most cases, these warnings have later proven to lack any explicit

significance for health." I agree that "it is not ethically or morally

correct of ... researchers to release and issue warnings" in many of

these cases. Scaring people away from cell phone use, scaring parents

away from letting their children have needed CTs, scaring people away

from noninvasive nuclear medicine tests and towards more risky

procedures, and just leaving people in a constant state of fear about

cancer is unethical when no scientific basis exists for the claims.

Some sort of uniformity of treatment of these issues is of course

desirable, but an elusive goal. It would be an interesting research

project to look at the history of many of these cases and find some

grounds for a consistent policy on how public discourse should be

managed.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068