Re: If you do Science, use the Scientific Method!

Peter Thomas wrote:

>  It is a simple fact that the risk to an individual cannot be determined in such a study.

The data seems to indicate that the risk of lung cancer TO AN INDIVIDUAL is negatively related to average county radon levels. The lower the average county radon level, the higher the risk of lung cancer for INDIVIDUALS living in the county.

What can be debated is if this is due to people's cumulative exposure to radon, some other radon exposure related parameter (such as a few short very high exposures that stimulate the immune system), something not related to radon at all (confounding from smoking, age, altitude, terrestrial gamma etc.), .... . The risk to an individual living in a low radon county seems to be quite high, whatever the cause might be.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any case control study that was designed to investigate the risk of lung cancer TO AN INDIVIDUAL as a function of AVERAGE county radon levels. (This could eliminate some of the more obvious confounders.) Surely, the technology exists to investigate the risk to an individual posed by a group level factor. All the case control studies that I am familiar with try to investigate the relation between risk and people's cumulative exposure to radon, which could be completely irrelevant to the ecologic finding.

Kai