Re: Response to WashPost ltr

Cesium in the radiology sources is usually as the chloride. It acts very

much like table salt. If it does not rain, you can readily vacuum it off

most surfaces (it will be mixed with the organics from the explosive). If

it does rain, add more water and keep it moving. Nevertheless, Levi is

right to some degree. If you leave the CsCl for a long time the cesium and

the chlorine slowly react with just about everything. Some very interesting

complexes form on most surfaces, some of which are very recalcitrant. What

can't be easily removed after several days (if you wait that long) will be

minor and produce a low, but not squeaky clean dose rate.

Joe

--

J. L. Alvarez, PhD.,CHP

Auxier & Associates, Inc