RE: Attitude to 'Risky' Treatment

Howard and friends,

Several years ago (1996 or so?) an HIV patient got an experimental

transplant (from a baboon) procedure (back when AIDS activists defeated

the FDA/medical practice I described below, i.e., let people die while

playing the research/clinical trials game).  He was given a relatively

low dose of radiation (because we "suppress the immune system" before a

transplant!?).  The transplant failed but the patient did well, and he

acknowledged that it could be attributed to the radiation.  He remained

an activist leader and became an "insider" to the new AIDS-oriented

research and clinical trials.

Over several years Myron Pollycove either never got a response or no

help from his former colleagues at UCSF who were involved in the test

and beyond.  I last tried to contact him around 2001 when his name

surfaced about some AIDS activism.  He was still then active (physically

as well as politically, but the reports were not clear about his general

health status).  I didn't get a response.

Thank you.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide