Re: If you do Science, use the Scientific Method!

In a message dated 9/25/2003 6:02:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, sjd@swcp.com

writes:

"This may seem silly, but is it possible that the EPA people who drafted

the NESHAPS did not understand that the LNT was a regulatory 'tool' and not

scientific fact?"

    It may seem silly, but in this corrupt day and age it wouldn't surprise me

at all.  More and more, and 'most everywhere you look, silliness appears to

be the reigning philosophy.

I also think this is entirely possible.  My understanding is that there are a

dearth of actual HPs in EPA's Superfund program, and that even in the Office

of Radiation and Indoor Air, there are probably too few spread too far.

This means that many of the decisions are made by "policy" guys, with degrees

in Political Science, Economics, etc. and crash courses in radiation and

hazardous materials, with insufficient input from technical experts.  I suspect

this is also why there are vast differences in policy at the operational level

across EPA regions.  Policy in technical areas must have significant input from

the technical experts, otherwise it cannot be implemented in any logical and

consistent way at the operational level.

For all the grief NRC takes, it is my experience that they have a much better

handle on their day to day operations than the EPA, much more oversight of

their regions, and much more consistency across the country.

Bad science makes bad policy, but not enough science can make it too, or even

make it worse.

Barbara