Article: Anti-Nuclear Pioneer Plots a New 'Bombing Run'

The following appeared in today's Washington Post.  It

is not really news or information article.  It is more

of testimonial to what a wonderful person Dr.

Caldicott is.

-------------

You have been sent this message from

jjacobus@mail.nih.gov as a courtesy of

washingtonpost.com

 Anti-Nuclear Pioneer  Plots a New 'Bombing Run'

 By Nora Boustany

   Helen Caldicott, 65, the anti-nuclear movement's

town crier-in-chief, is revving up for what she calls

another "bombing run," her favorite metaphor for

mobilizing minds and alerting a numbed public to the

final threat.

 This grandmother and former pediatrician, who in the

1980s managed to enlist millions of physicians,

concerned celebrities and regular folks into the

movement, is at it again, and she has news for those

who dismiss her alarm with the notion that they have

seen this movie before. Caldicott wants equal time

with the neocons -- in setting the agenda and in

sorting out what people should really fear.

  With a new center on K Street, the Nuclear Policy

Research Institute, the Australian-born  activist and

her skeleton staff are planning a three-day symposium

in January featuring U.S. and Russian experts and

scientists, followed by a two-month awareness blitz in

four major American cities, with the hope of setting

off brush fires of support.

 "In some ways we are at a real turning point," said

Charles Sheehan-Miles, who joined the institute six

months ago. "We need to realign our country's defense

with our values. It is shocking to know we are

spending billions of dollars on nuclear weapons and

stockpiles, because they are not protecting us anymore

and we are bankrupting our country."

  Sheehan-Miles, a decorated veteran of the 1991

Persian Gulf War, is on the board of the National Gulf

War Resource Center and recently worked for Veterans

for Common Sense, which opposed the war this year in

Iraq.

  Caldicott's angst is both unnerving and endearing.

Her bright red reading glasses hint at her rage, but a

string of opera-length pearls suggests sensibility and

smooth authority. Whether she succeeds in interjecting

her arguments into the 2004 presidential campaign, as

she did during the 1984 race between   Ronald Reagan

and   Walter F. Mondale, remains to be seen, but she

has given herself five more years to try to avert "the

final epidemic of the human race."

  True, the United States and Russia have pledged to

cut the number of their nuclear warheads -- and some

have been removed -- but they still have enough to

wipe out hundreds of cities. A flock of geese could

trigger a false alarm, a Chechen rebel could take over

missile silos in Russia or a terrorist hacking into

naval warning systems could set off an accidental

warning or launch. "This is what the soccer moms have

to understand," Caldicott said. "Fears have been

displaced and we are not looking at the elephant in

the living room."

  Caldicott still uses medical terminology to package

her message: "The Earth is in the intensive care unit,

and ignoring the fact that we live on the edge of the

nuclear precipice every day is contraindicated. It is

suicidal, and we hospitalize suicidal patients."

 For this woman, the Cold War is over. But the cause

she allowed to take over her life -- with interludes

of domesticity and travel that allowed her to regain

some balance -- is in the homestretch.

  "Unless I do this work, I have no reason to exist,"

she said in an interview at the Madison Hotel. In her

memoir, "A Desperate Passion," Caldicott recounts the

loneliness and fear of death she had as a child, her

blossoming self-worth as a curious adolescent and her

brilliant career at Harvard Medical School, which she

abandoned reluctantly to keep up with the demands of

her activism. She also writes of her intermittent

depression and her troubled, yet often happy marriage,

which ended after 25 years.

 Caldicott has had many moments of glory -- a Nobel

Peace Prize nomination, audiences with Reagan and

other major figures, success in wooing many labor

union leaders, professionals and Hollywood stars to

her side. "It was a sagacious, peaceful revolution in

thinking, the second American revolution," she said.

But her focus is on the future. "The weapons are still

there, and now we need a third revolution."

 "The idea about terrorism in the United States was

very abstract until September 11 happened," said

Sheehan-Miles, executive director of Caldicott's new

group. "In some ways the debate has shifted to the

margins and we want to bring it back to the core

issues. Let us get rid of this stuff."

   Sheehan-Miles, 32 and the father of two boys, said

that when he came home from the war after serving as a

tank crewman, "there was all this bloodless footage of

smart bombs. And I had to deal with my remorse: I had

killed people, I was getting ready to become an

alcoholic. I had to find another answer. I am doing

this work to change things so my kids don't have to

experience the same things."

 He added: "What Helen brings to the debate is that

she is able to personalize these issues. People in the

audience get the message that this is not about some

remote foreign policy thing. This is about their

children. She was a consultant when they produced the

movie 'The Day After.' That was a direct result of

Physicians for Social Responsibility, a group she

founded. Now something like 82 to 85 percent of the

American public think we should get rid of nuclear

weapons."

 Caldicott worries about her grandchildren, whom she

would like to be able to grow up. But she laughs about

one granddaughter who asked her:  "When you die, can I

have your shoes?"

Would you like to send this article to a friend? Go to

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/emailfriend?contentId=A2778-2003Sep25&sent=no&referrer=emailarticle

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

=====

"Self-criticism is the secret weapon of democracy, and candor and confession are good for the public soul."

Adlai Stevenson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist