RE: MDA vs. Critical level for DOE Free Release surveys

I think this summarizes the issue very well.  The survey methodology must be

based on MDA.  DL is of interest in identifying when contamination is

present but doesn't confirm that it is not there;  therefore, the survey

design must require that the MDA is less than the specified limit.  The DL

is of interest as it may identify when contamination is present and further

evaluation may be warranted.

tom