RE: A "dirty bomb" question

In their DRDC ( Defense R&D Canada) Suffield First Responder Course - 2001,

the assumed RDD is in fact the equivalent of millions of smoke detectors (

or about the same as the current number in buildings & houses in the city of

Montreal, which was the scene of the hypothetical RDD scenario).

They assume 10 x 10Ci Am241 logging sources (I believe it might not be too

difficult to get a hold of one or two such devices, but 10 seems rather

far-fetched -- I doubt any oil company would have that many, of that size,

in one spot).

See Module 8 - Radiological Dispersion PDF (3.2 Mb) at

http://www.dres.dnd.ca/Meetings/FirstResponders/ , starting on page 9.

They conclude that the consequences of such an RDD event would contamination

of millions of square kilometers of land down-wind of Montreal, costing

billions of dollars to decontaminate.

But as you say, comparison to high-background areas like Kerala, Ramsar or

Guarapari, would make this sort of thing largely a non-event.....

Of course they didn't do that in the DRDC study, so it became a terrific

media bonanza, splashing color diagrams from the report all over the front

page of the local daily newspaper, back in June 2002 (something to resurrect

for the coming Halloween ?)

 Jaro

http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/quebec_main.html