Re: 60 minutes - Yucca Mountain

Just in case this horse has any twitches left, I'd like to reinforce the remarks about "no comment" as well as the dismaying experiences others have related about 60 Mins.

In a past life, I had human factors responsibility for integrating the Maverick Missile System into the A-7D aircraft. The system performance of the missile, aircraft, and pilot performance requirements and capabilities were intimately known to me. 60 Mins. did two features, widely

separated in time, which were simply total hatchet jobs on that system. Many of their characterizations were absolutely untrue and they had good reason to be fully aware of these dishonesties.

A few years later while employed at a different company, 60 Mins. did one feature about a subcontractor for the HARM missile program. Then they tried to arrange interviews with my employer -- who wisely refused to have anything to do with 60 Mins. There were no "no comments"; the

company simply refused any contacts with 60 Mins. which is the best way to deal with 60 Mins.

Subjectively, I believe they also did "hatchet jobs" on the Commander of US forces in Viet Nam. And both Maverick and HARM have served the US very well for many years.

60 Mins. contains no news -- merely biased fictions to promote anger, indignation, and cynicism in all who watch it.  I relegated 60 Mins. to the TV trash bin many years ago.

Cheers,

Maury Siskel            maury@webtexas.com