Re: Article: Strawberries may boost astronaut performance

In addition to eating a pint of strawberries a day,

the astronauts can only be exposed to "a minute's

worth of artificially produced cosmic rays."  Let's

expose the animals to a hour's worth of cosmic rays.

I am sure they are asking for funds to continue their

groundbreaking research.

--- mark.hogue@SRS.GOV wrote:

> Source:

> http://www.nature.com/nsu/031110/031110-1.html

>  Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting,

> New Orleans, November 2003

> Strawberries may boost astronaut performance

> Frozen fruit protects rats' brains from harmful

> rays.

> HELEN R. PILCHER

> Strawberries: on the space menu since the 1980s.

> © GettyImages

. . .

> Rabin's team treated rats to an 8-week diet of 2%

> frozen strawberry, 98%

> standard lab chow, then exposed them to a minute's

> worth of artificially

> produced cosmic rays. In a motivation test a year

> on, these rodents beat

> animals that had been fed a fruit-free diet. They

> worked twice as hard to

> press a lever for a food reward.

> . . .

=====

"One test result is worth one thousand expert opinions."

Wernher von Braun

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist