RE: U.S.: 'Dirty Bomb' Danger Real

Nov. 12, 2003

At 11:16 AM 11/12/2003, Chilton, Milton W. wrote:

>The good news is that barring a few scenarios it is unlikely that the RDD

>would actually kill anyone aside from those actually killed by the blast.

>The most likely impacts are denial of access and use of the impacted area

>(You lose the ability to conduct business in the impacted area),

>potentially huge economic impacts from clean up operations and lost

>business, potentially huge psychological issues with the potentially

>exposed population due to exaggerated fears, and finally some real concern

>that the exposed population could actually exhibit an increase in the long

>term cancer rate due to exposure.

Dear Radsafers:

I think that Milton's answer is basically good, but there is more to the

issue that he didn't really cover.  While I would disagree with NRC that

all the lost sources combined wouldn't make an effective RDD (I think they

would), it is largely irrelevant.  There are other ways to disperse high

activities of radionuclides in populated areas other than running around

gathering up stolen sources or importing radionuclides from other

countries.  You simply go to where the sources are, kill any security

people or those who question what you're doing there, blow up the locks on

the doors, and detonate the radioactive material.  If the terrorists don't

care if they die, this should be relatively easy to do.  The RSO's and

regulators among you should know full well where these sources of

radioactive material are located at present.  This is what I worry about,

and I am actively planning the medical response to an RDD event that could

take place in Los Angeles County.

While it is true that few, if any, people would die of acute radiation

effects from an RDD event, people could suffer significant morbidity and

increased risk of radiation-induced disease (not just cancer)  if response

is not appropriate and complete.   In most (if not all) places in the USA

at present, response will not be appropriate and complete.  First

responders need to be carrying (and know how to use) radiation detectors,

and need to quickly alert those who can identify and roughly quantify the

radioactive material in a speedy manner.  While these health physics people

are determining what areas need to be evacuated, persons in the vicinity

need to be externally decontaminated (basically hosed down) and the injured

need to be brought to hospitals and decontaminated there or perhaps, on the

way.  This means training of hospital and ambulance personnel.  First and

second responders need personal radiation dosimeters so that they do not

become overly exposed.

We also need methods for estimating internal radiocontamination, from

inhalation and ingestion pathways, as well as from traumatic entry.  How

many of you have working, calibrated whole body counters available to

you?  How many have other methods?  I have spent 1 1/2 years trying to get

some "humanized" gamma ray constants calculated or measured, so that with a

calibrated ion chamber and a known radionuclide, a body burden may be

estimated.  That has been quite an undertaking.  A couple of highly

competent physicists I know will do the job for about $30,000, mostly to

cover the computer time for the Monte Carlo calculations.  No one will put

up the money.  NRC says it isn't their responsibility.  The CDC says it

might be their responsibility but they have spent all their money on

bioterrorism, and aren't going to spend any on this.  The National Disaster

Medical System (NDMS) says it isn't their problem.  The DOE won't fund

this.  Heck, I have been trying for a year to get equipment through DOE's

HDER Program, and have seen nothing but paperwork and bureaucracy.  Not a

single instrument.  If you read the Federal Guidance for Radiological

Emergencies (or some name like that), all it is is a document to assign

turf and divide up money.  The FEMA document has no value.  The American

College of Radiology (ACR) document doesn't address this, and neither does

NCRP or ICRP.

It is very important to get estimates of internal contamination, because

there are a number of effective decorporation drugs that are

useful.  Potassium iodide will probably be worthless, but this is all you

hear about from government.  Los Angeles County has stockpiled several

hundred doses of the useful drugs.  As some are not FDA-approved, or the

uses are not FDA-approved, FDA says you can't use them.  We think

otherwise, and we will use them.  But we have to know who has more than an

ALI (or a multiple of ALI's) contaminating them in the first place, and we

have to monitor therapy.  How many of you live in areas that have

stockpiled these drugs, and how many have a way to assess body burden and

monitor treatment?  It would surprise me if any of you did.  I am still

trying to get the money to bring the UCLA whole body counter into useful

operation.  No bucks yet, but I'm still trying.  Does anyone have $12,680

they don't need?

While it is suggested that a nuclear medicine gamma camera can be a rough

sort of "whole body" counter if you lift it high above the patient, remove

the collimator, and use it as a counter, this turns out not to be so

easy.  Some cameras only detect up to 511 kev.  Some cannot be lifted that

high.  Some will not operate at all without a collimator.  And, those that

are serviceable need to be calibrated for a dozen or so radionuclides that

are good candidates for RDD's.  We need other methods for pure beta and

alpha emitters.  Anyone have any they'd like to share?

People will panic only if we let them.  Most people, upon hearing calm,

competent directions will do as told, and if we tell the public that we can

assess any contamination, use drugs to remove significant amounts, assess

the drug therapy, care for those who remain contaminated, and competently

assess the consequences of the radiation absorbed doses involved, most

members of the public will cooperate.  Of course, we can't do these things,

because we haven't got the tools, equipment, calibrations, and skilled

personnel in place.  None of this is new technology, of course, but none of

the government entities charged with protecting us have put it

together.  The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) doesn't even appear to

understand the issues.  Physicists concentrate on physics issues, and

ignore the medical ones.  Physicians concentrate on the medical issues, and

ignore most of the physics ones.  First responders tend not to understand

either the physics or the medical issues.  The whole RDD response program

needs high level coordination that isn't happening.

Then we have the very real problem that our regulators are a very real

problem.   If cleanup standards are down to 15 mrem (EPA) or 25 mrem +

ALARA (NRC), then the socioeconomic consequences will be enormous, and this

is completely unnecessary.  We need standards that make sense.  Our

government is paralyzed, because too many bureaucrats' jobs depend upon

protecting us from something that isn't hurting us in the first

place.  And, these falsely low standards are what will make people

panic.  Our government is in large part causing the panic, because it will

not take on the antinukes and lay them low, set sensible safety standards,

and refuse to budge to political pressure from extremists.  And what is DHS

doing about this?  Nothing that I've heard.  And NRC?  Well, it wants to

develop a master list of all sealed sources in the USA.  And how will that

help us?  It won't.  But, when a hacker hacks into that list, he will now

know where everything is.  And what is the probability that NRC will have a

hackerproof list?  About zero, I'd guess.

In conclusion, I believe that at present the technology exists to minimize

the radiologic consequences of an RDD event.  However, I also believe that

the bureaucrats in our government will ensure that we will not have the

opportunity to use our technology as needed.  I would just love to be

proved wrong.

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>