RE: U.S.: 'Dirty Bomb' Danger Real

Radsafers --

In general I see too much national focus on the consequences of terrorism

and not enough on the risk, which must take into account probability and

consequences.  Some sort of dirty bomb disaster is likely to occur some

day, certainly.  Sure there would be fatalities, but not that many, and a

lot of economic dislocation.  So, reasonable efforts to interdict and

prevent all forms of terrorism are certainly prudent.

However, and this is important, We are about as likely to die from being

struck from lightning or a peptic ulcer as from terrorism.  Why aren't we

seeing the same level of concern and urgency about lightning? Maybe we

should spend trillions on a crash program to install some sort of

anti-lightning devices in a tight grid across the country.  We are perhaps

a 1000 times more likely to die of heart disease than of terrorism.  Why

aren't we spending a thousand times more government resources to research

heart diseases than we are spending on terrorism?

I think that our national obsession with terrorism is taking resources away

from other programs that, on a cost-benefit basis, are far more beneficial

to society.

rh