From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu] On Behalf Of William V Lipton

Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 7:22 AM

To: Stanford Dosimetry

Cc: Radsafe list; Tom.Goff@wipp.ws

Subject: Re: Posting and Monitoring Requirements @ DOE Facilities

This looks good on paper, but my experience at a DOE facility indicates

that a policy of badging only those who obviously need monitoring is a

sure way to get in trouble, for 2 major reasons:

1. As in most aspects of this business, the "unlikely" often happens.  A

researcher in one field which does not involve radiation exposure may

join some group which is using a source, accelerator, or x-ray machine.

Such ad hoc collaboration may be good for research, but could lead to

unmonitored exposures.  Unless you have physical controls, such as a

control point, which prevent unmonitored individuals from entering a

restricted area, I would have the philosophy, "If in doubt, badge."

2.  In the event of future radiation injury litigation, if an

unmonitored individual states that he worked with radiation sources, you

will end up relying on his lawyer to do your dosimetry.  (This was a

problem with the DOE system. I'm not sure if it's still that way, but

when I was there, the contractor was not responsible for any future

injury claims; a good deal for the contractor, but a bad deal for the

taxpayers.)

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton