RE: Posting and Monitoring Requirements @ DOE Facilities

With the opinionated Radsafe group, even providing a reference to official

DOE guidance can generate a thread of debate.

I think the point of the DOE guidance is that we should be reasonable.

While on the one hand over-monitoring can be thought of as providing "cheap

insurance against litigation", it can also create problems.  Problems with

worker perception as well as the obvious strain on the technical resources

in addressing insignificant results. It is the false positives that generate

the lion's share of the calls to the dosimetry department.

As for records, clearly all records which provide a demonstration of a

worker's monitoring requirements should be retrievable.  Area monitoring

records, design basis radiological conditions, technical basis

documentation, and the worker job assignments.  Any facility needs to be

able to demonstrate the upper limit of the dose received by any worker

whether or not they were wearing a personal dosimeter.

Neill Stanford, CHP

Stanford Dosimetry LLC

www.stanforddosimetry.com

stanford@stanforddosimetry.com