=?utf-8?B?UmU6IFN0dWR5IHNob3dzIOKAmHBvdGVudGlhbCBsaW5r4oCZIHRvIHJhZGk=?==?utf-8?B?YXRpb24sIGNhbmNlciAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg?=

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:39:48 -0500, Peter Genzer <genzer@BNL.GOV> wrote:

> Radsafers,

> Follow-up on yesterday's Mangano press conference from Pottstown, PA's

> "The Mercury" daily paper.  The Pottstown mayor has certainly made her

> mind up.

> Peter A. Genzer

> http://www.zwire.com/site/

> news.cfm?newsid=10542296&BRD=1674&PAG=461&dept_id=18041&rfi=6

> ACE: Study shows ‘potential link’ to radiation, cancer

===================

Hi all:

It seems to me that it is almost pointless to try and critique the fine

points of the propaganda campaign being waged by Mangano, Sternglass, et.

al. related to the so-called Tooth Fairy Project.

I think it is sufficient to state in general terms that this study lacks

any scientific credibility and that the individuals involved in this effort

such as Ernest Sternglass have been making claims about the hazards of

radiation in fallout for decades that have been discredited by the National

Academy of Sciences/National Research Council [NAS/NRC] as noted in the

1972 BEIR [Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation - "The Effects on

Populations of Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation"] Report. In

the general conclusion by the NAS/NRC BEIR-I report about Sternglass'

inflammatory claims at the time about Sr-90 in the environment from bomb

test fallout, the NAS/National Research Council wrote:

"The evidence assembled by Sternglass has been critically reviewed by

Lindop and Rotblat[5] and by Tompkins and Brown [6]. It is clear that the

correlations presented in support of the hypothesis depend on arbitrary

selection of data supporting the hypothesis and the ignoring of those that

do not. In several regards, the data used by Sternglass appear to be in

error. One of the most vital assumptions in the model --that without the

atomic tests the infant mortality rate would have continued to fall in a

geometrically linear fashion --is without basis either in theory or in

observation of trends in other countries and other times. The doses of

strontium-90 used in the experiments referred to by Sternglass were of the

order of 100,000 times greater than those received by humans from all

atomic tests and were associated with extremely small differences in infant

mortality [8.7% in the irradiated vs. 7.5% in the control mice) [5]

In short, there is at present time no convincing evidence that the low

levels of radiation in question are associated with increased risks of

mortality in infancy."

[Reference for above quote: National Academy of Sciences/National Research

Council [NAS/NRC], Division of Medical Sciences,  "Biological Effects of

Ionizing Radiation - "The Effects on Populations of Exposure to Low Levels

of Ionizing Radiation", p. 178-179; 1972

It is quite clear the the TFP is a crude reincarnation of the discredited

nonsense Sternglass has been grinding out since the late 1960s to a

gullible media and public about the hazard of nuclear test fallout and

nuclear power plant operations and environmental impacts. Mark Twain once

remarked that "A lie can race its way around the world, while truth is

still tying its shoes."  Twain's remarks 100 years ago are even more true

today with the internet and an ever more gullible and lazy media.

It seems Sternglass, et. al involved in the TFP have just dusted off the

discredited techniques used in earlier anti-nuclear efforts by Sternglass

regarding Sr-90 in the environment [going back in time for many decades],

juggled some data about Sr-90 trends over time, or Sr-90 levels in an

isolated area, selected a few data points as to health effects in an

isolated area while ignoring other areas with the same level of Sr-90 with

the opposite health effect trend noted, added in a cancer case to add

emotional appeal which almost certainly  has no relation to any radiation

environmental issue [a particularly odious and sleazy exploitation of a

vulnerable individual and their family], and managed to deceive the media

and certain politicians, who are too lazy to do any homework on the TFP and

Sternglass track record, or the claims of the TFP and those charlatans

involved in this crude PR/propaganda campaign.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health

Consulting Scientist

Farber Research Institute   [a la Mangano's Radiation and Public Health

Project!!]

farbersa@optonline.net

[203] 367-0791