From: William V Lipton [mailto:liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM]

Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 12:08 PM

To: stanford@stanforddosimetry.com

Cc: 'Allen, David'; 'Radsafe list'; Tom.Goff@wipp.ws

Subject: Re: Posting and Monitoring Requirements @ DOE Facilities

Obviously, no one will argue that we should be unreasonable.

Monitoring should never be thought of as "litigation insurance."  It will,

however, improve your defense against frivolous cases.

I am confused over what you mean by the "worker perception" and "false positive"

issues.  I've found that, if anything, monitoring is reassuring to the worker,

and is taken an indication that the employer cares about the worker's safety,

even if dosimetry is not legally required. (Even if they don't provide dose,

they help provide trust.)  I've never heard of a confirmed, positive dosimeter

reading that didn't have a valid cause.  (I've worked at Fermi 2 for almost 22

years, and have never received any measurable radiation exposure.)  In some

cases, a positive dose may occur due to mishandling or processor error.

Apparently invalid readings should be investigated.

Other indications of worker exposure, such as area radiation surveys, and area

TLD's are of limited value in assigning individual dose, if you can't account

for the worker's location, and if you don't have positive controls over worker

entry into restricted areas.  It's difficult to set an upper limit on an

unmonitored worker's dose, if you can't be assured that he can't access your

posted areas.

I believe that the evaluation of "official DOE guidance" is a valid function of

Radsafe.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton