Re: medical isotopes - patient expense

You will have to be more explicit.  What is the

problem?  What would changing 10 CFR 35.75 do?  The

requirements are to ensure that a member of the public

does not receive a dose from a patient treated with

radioactive material does not exceed 100 mrem.  I

assume that other industries, e.g., radiography and

nuclear power, do not have to provide information on

doses to the public.  Maybe they should even if it

less than 100 mrem.  I suggest that every nuclear

power plant publish a daily list of exposures

delivered to the population in nearby areas.  They

also should go door to door to every person and

explain what the risks are for the exposures received.

If you are curious about patient doses go to

http://www.orau.gov/ehsd/doses.htm where a list of

organ and effective doses are provided.

Yes, the issue is getting patients healthy.  The use

of radionuclides is diagnosis and therapy has shown

that tremendous benefits can be obtain with little

risk to the public and patients.  While their are many

physicians and technologist who will answer patients'

questions, few patients are that interested in the

tests.

--- William V Lipton <liptonw@dteenergy.com> wrote:

> Until now, I thought that the issue was getting

> patients healthy.  Now, I know better.

> This is all the more reason why 10 CFR 35.75 should

> be upgraded to require written information for ALL

> nuclear medicine patients.

> This should include:  (1) dose to the patient (CEDE

> and max. organ CDE), (2) dose to others, and (3)

> impact on radiation monitors.

> I can't believe this would be infeasible or too

> expensive.

> The opinions expressed are strictly mine.

> It's not about dose, it's about trust.

> Curies forever.

> Bill Lipton

> liptonw@dteenergy.com

> John Jacobus wrote:

> > The problem with patients not being informed that

> they

> > are getting a medical test involving x-ray

> exposure or

> > the injection of radionuclides is not a new one.

> The

> > issue is getting patients in and out of the

> clinic,

> > not education.  Sorry.  That is life in the

> medical

> > world.

> > ---

=====

"Eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty and . . . you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing."

Andrew Jackson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist