Re: Radiation found in Pelham garbage

Back in 1984 a sensational report headlined "Radioactive danger in central

Israel" and "Caution! Radioactive fallout" was published in an Israeli

weekly magazine. The report claimed that my instructions, which exempted

wastes containing minute levels of radioactive materials from being sent to

the Central Radioactive Waste Disposal Site , would endanger the life of

hundreds of thousands of people who live in the Tel Aviv area. The

journalist also claimed that experts told him that "the severity of the

offense cannot be judged according to custmary punitive means".

I sued the magazine, the journalist  and the editor for libel and

defamation. The District Court, and later also the Supreme Court of Israel,

found the defendants guilty as charged and ordered the payment of punitive

compensation of about 80,000 U.S. dollars, the highest ever decreed by the

supreme court in libel cases.

Best regards,

Yehoshua Kalish

Consultant on Radiation Safety