Re: Radiation found in Pelham garbage

Eric ?

It DOES happen frequently ... more frequently than we would like. In fact, we had one of these down in Taylor County, GA (~60 miles west of Macon) on Veterans Day. NORMALLY, we would have responded the following day, but SOMEHOW, the call went into the National Response Center instead of to our state 24-hour warning point. SO ... by the time we got the troops together and out the door, I had already received calls from TWO (count 'em ... TWO) DHS folks in DC. While en route, we also received "do you need any help" calls from our regional DOE and EPA folks, and CDC asked us about it the following AM.

Only difference is that we exercised a little "common sense", after having responded to literally hundreds of these things. First, we didn't go "dumpster diving" to determine exactly where what the material was. We knew it was I-131 (from our handy dandy Exploranium GR-135) and we knew it was 1. 5 mR/hr at contact with the truck ... so we were reasonably confident that we had less than 1 mCi on our hands ... probably patient excreta (which "technically" isn't radioactive material ... at least as far as our regulations ... anyway). So ... we decided (as we do in most similar instances) that the best place for this material was in the sanitary landfill. If they've got leakage problems such that this stuff is going to get to somebody before it all decays away, they've got FAR GREATER problems.

My $0.02 worth ...

P.S. I would have flown to NY and back, AND stored the garbage, for $4K.

Jim Hardeman

Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

>>> <goldinem@SONGS.SCE.COM> 11/25/2003 17:57:12 >>>

Someone earlier asked about radiation monitor alarms due to nuclear

medicine procedures (I think).   Well here's an article about the end of

that story, so to speak.   I believe this is Westchester County outside of

NYC and I would suspect that this happens frequently at municipal

landfills.   Amusing (and sad) that the village with the County's

recommendation decided to spend $4000 to "dispose" of material that would

decay to undetectable levels in a few weeks under a mountain of garbage.

Anyone out there willing to take $4000 for storing a bag of garbage for a

couple of months?  I'm sure the "human waste" issues are more hazardous.

Eric Goldin, CHP

<goldinem@songs.sce.com>

  Radiation found in Pelham garbage

  By KEN VALENTI

  THE JOURNAL NEWS

  (Original publication: November 25, 2003)

  Investigators have no way of knowing where

  a "very small amount" of radioactive

  iodine-131 got into trash collected in

  Pelham, but a health official said

  yesterday that the find should cause no

  worries.

  "It poses no danger to the public at all,"

  Westchester County Health Department

  spokeswoman Mary Landrigan said of the

  iodine found last week.

  The iodine ? used to treat thyroid problems

  and found in nuclear facilities ? was

  picked up by Suburban Carting trash

  collectors during their routine collections

  in Pelham and detected by federally

  required sensors at the Westchester County

  transfer station in Mount Vernon.

  "A very small amount of radiation was found

  in a pile of tissues found in a garbage

  bag," Landrigan said. The material, in

  hygienic tissues, was determined to be

  human waste from someone who had received

  treatments for cancer, probably of the

  thyroid, Landrigan said.

  Finding such material is not common, but it

  does happen on occasion, partly because new

  sensing technologies pick up smaller

  amounts of radioactive material, Landrigan

  said.

  "The transfer stations have just

  ultra-sensitive devices," she said.

  The sensors are at the county's three

  transfer stations ? in Mount Vernon,

  Yonkers and White Plains ? and at the

  resource recovery plant in Peekskill, where

  the trash is burned, said Robert Matarazzo,

  the county's deputy commissioner of

  environmental facilities.

  Another small amount was found at the Mount

  Vernon transfer station in October in trash

  coming from New Rochelle, county

  spokeswoman Donna Greene said. Such

  incidents are likely to become more common

  with take-home cancer medicines, she said.

  The Pelham material was found Nov. 17 and

  Richard Slingerland, the Pelham village

  administrator, was notified.

  "The truck was held off to the side until

  the manager and I could get over there,"

  Slingerland said. "Then the county Health

  Department arrived."

  On advice from the county Health Department

  and state and federal agencies, the village

  hired a professional firm licensed to

  transport and dispose of radioactive waste

  ? Radiac Research Corp. of Brooklyn ? to

  remove the waste for $4,000. It was taken

  away Wednesday, Slingerland said.

  Suburban Carting officials did not return a

  call yesterday.

  Landrigan said there was no way to

  determine where the waste came from.

  Send e-mail to Ken Valenti