Re: Doctor's knowledge of radiation exposue

I think that studies like this should be taken with a

grain of salt.  This survey is based on asking a broad

spectrum of physicians about a subject they know

little about.  It is like asking a group of high

school teachers basic questions in chemistry, e.g.,

what is meant by pH, what are the noble gases, etc.

I think it would be interesting to ask a physician

would he not prescript an x-ray exam because the dose

was too high.  I would compare that number, which may

result in death to the patient, to the estimated 100

to 250 cancers from radiation exposure.  That would

provide a good estimate of risks v. benefits.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/radiation/ionising/rpa/rpa24.htm

> DOCTOR’S KNOWLEDGE OF RADIATION EXPOSURE

> A recent study reported in the British Medical

> Journal (BMJ)

> concluded that doctors’ knowledge of radiation doses

> to patients in

> radiological investigations remains poor. In a study

> of 130 doctors

> at two hospitals in Oxford and South Wales, none of

> them knew the

> approximate dose of ionising radiation (IR) received

> by a patient

> during a chest X Ray (0.02mSv), or even the units of

> radiation

> measurement used, though ten were consultant

> radiologists.

> The doctors were asked to estimate doses of IR for

> other

> investigations relative to that for a chest X Ray

> (CXR) e.g. a plain

> abdominal X Ray exposes the patient to 75 times the

> dose in a CXR, a

> CT scan of the abdomen is equivalent to 400 CXRs

> whilst a lumbar

> spine X Ray is equivalent to 120 CXRs and so on.

> Five doctors (4%)

> gave no correct answers, six (5%) did not realise

> that ultrasound

> does not use IR and eleven (8%) did not know MRI

> does not involve IR.

> Overall, 97% of the answers were underestimates of

> the actual dose

> e.g. a patient undergoing an arteriogram of the leg

> would receive 400

> times the radiation of a CXR but the average mean

> answer was 26

> times.

> The paper points out that an estimated 100 to 250

> deaths occur each

> year from cancers directly related to medical

> exposure to IR.

> Reference: Shiralkar S, Rennie A et al. Doctors’

> knowledge of

> radiation exposure: questionnaire study. BMJ

> 2003;327:371.

=====

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn"

Gore Vidal

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist