Re: Avoidance of reactions to radiocontrast media?

Since this is a Japanese article, can anyone say tell

me if the "radiocontrast agents" they discuss are the

same as the non-radioactive iodine based contrast

agents used in x-ray exams?  I believe they are as

they also consider the use on "nonionic dyes" which

are frequently used in such studies.

--- Stewart Farber <farbersa@optonline.net> wrote:

> Hi all:

> A thread on Radsafe recently discussed allergic

> reactions to contrast

> agents used in certain imaging procedures. A note

> was posted to Medscape

> recently to the following relevant

> question which may be of interest to some involved

> in medical HP or who

> might be involved in evaluating a procedure they or

> a family member may

> need to receive.

> Stewart Farber

> =====================

> Allergic Reactions to Radiocontrast Media

> <url: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/463963>

> Question:

> What are the guidelines on the incidence and

> avoidance of reactions to

> radiocontrast media?

> Emilia Galea

> Response from Bradley E. Chipps, MD, FCCP Medical

> Director, Cystic Fibrosis

> Center, Capital Allergy & Respiratory Disease

> Center, and Associate Medical

> Director, Sleep Laboratory of Sutter Community

> Hospitals, Sacramento,

> California

> The guidelines for pretreatment of radiocontrast

> allergy have been

> published in the literature.[1-3] The nonionic dyes

> are less likely to

> cause a systemic reaction than the ionic solutions.

> This reaction is not

> believed to be of an Ig E-mediated cause. Treatment

> with H1-and H2-blockers

> at appropriate therapeutic doses and prednisone 1

> mg/kg given both 24 hours

> and 1 hour before the radiology procedure is usually

> sufficient to block

> the reaction. Montelukast 10 mg may also be added to

> this regimen.

> Posted 11/25/2003

> References

> 1. Hong SJ, Wong JT, Bloch KJ. Reactions to

> radiocontrast media. Allergy

> Asthma Proc. 2002;23:347-351. Abstract

> 2. Abbott MB, Levin RH. Anaphylactoid reactions to

> radiocontrast agents.

> Pediatr Rev. 2001;22:356.

> 3. Katayama H, Yamaguchi K, Kozuka T, Takashima T,

> Seez P, Matsuura K.

> Adverse reactions to ionic and nonionic contrast

> media. A report from the

> Japanese Committee on the Safety of Contrast Media.

> Radiology.

> 1990;175:621-628. Abstract

=====

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn"

Gore Vidal

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist