RE: Disposal of Decontamination Waste post RDD

Larry, Thanks and ya got to love DARPA! But if the

current EPA Standards and Cleanup criteria are not

modified, DARPA and others are just putting the cart

before the horse. The volumes we are talking if an RDD

event occurs dependent on the type of emitter used are

plainly staggering and beyond current deconatamination

and clean up technology. Though in a national emergency

anything can go......

Gerry Blackwood Ph.D

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:38:55 -0600, "Larry Boing" wrote:

> DARPA among others probably is already trying to work

> up some better ways of

> doing these very kinds of decontamination activities

> using methods to

> minimize rad waste volumes and secondary wastes

> resulting from these

> operations.

> Lawrence E. Boing

> Argonne National Laboratory

> Nuclear Engrg Division, Decommissioning Program

> 9700 South Cass Avenue, Bldg 362

> Argonne, IL   60439

> Phone 630.252.6729

> Fax     630.252.5287

> lboing@anl.gov

> www.td.anl.gov/D&D/

> www.orau.gov/ddsc/

Of

nochar@in.net

> Subject: Re: Disposal of Decontamination Waste post

RDD

> Again, Congress would have to interceed and curtail

the

> current EPA Cleanup criteria otherwise the about of

> debrie we are talking about would be enormous.

Moreover

> instead of wait for the event to happen. Congress

needs

> to enact new regulations concerning this now otherwise

> we will have a debate after the event in which would

> not help anyone.

> This link is an excellent source of information

> http://www.fas.org/faspir/2002/v55n2/v55n2.pdf

> Gerry Blackwood Ph.D

> http://mail.Justice.com

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

body

> of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

archives

http://mail.Justice.com