Re: FW: Sequestration / nuclear option

At 11:30 PM 12/10/2003 -0600, Kai Kaletsch wrote:

>John,

>If this was permanent, wouldn't there be a lake of CO2 at the bottom of the

>ocean right now? It would have gotten there from undersea volcanic activity.

>My guess is that CO2 dissolves and diffuses to the surface.

>Kai

>From: "John Andrews" <andrewsjp@chartertn.net>

> > Seems to me the deep sea injection of the liquid CO2 would be simpler

> > and just as permanent.  Perhaps mechanically simpler, too.  As I

> > understand it, the CO2 is liquified, then injected at a depth where the

> > pressure is sufficient to keep it in liquid form.  It then sinks to the

> > bottom because it is heavier than water.  It is an interesting concept.

Kai: At the depths envisaged, I imagine the CO2 would form hydrates -

effectively dry ice - on the sea bottom. This would be pretty stable and

not prone to dissolution/diffusion.

In fact, there are many large "lakes" (rather icebergs!) on the ocean

bottom (including right here in the Gulf of Mexico!),containing not only

CO2, but methane, pentane and other light hydrocarbons! That are indeed at

the moment being seriously looked at as a source of energy!

If you "Google" hydrates you will find lots of information on naturally

occurring hydrates.

As for the comment that dumping the CO2 into depleted oil reservoirs, this

would have the potentially beneficial effect of maintaining the normal

pressure of the reservoir and stability of the formations above it. Surface

subsidence caused by oil and gas production is a significant problem in

many areas of oil production. E.G. the coast of parts of Lake Maracaibo

have had to be dyked, as the ground level is many feet below the lake surface!

Regards

Doug

Doug Aitken		Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE

Advisor

Phone (Sugarland):   	281 285-8009

Phone (Home office): 	713 797-0919

Phone (Cell): 		713 562-8585

Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net

Schlumberger E-mail: daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com

Mail: 	300 Schlumberger Drive MD2, Room 111

	Sugar Land, TX 77478