Re: Dirty Bombs: Response to a Threat

Gerry,

I generally agree with your comments.  There will be tremendous pressure

to "act."

It just seems to me that folks keep bringing assumptions to the table that

are inappropriate to the situation of an RDD or nuclear detonation.  WMD /

RDD situations are not "normal," so "normal" solutions probably aren't

applicable.

As an expansion of my previous points:

1)  There will be no private insurance coverage.  Most companies have opted

out of terrorist or "acts of war" events.  So whoever is affected by these

events will be faced with the potential of significant financial losses.

This may not be a big deal if you're a big corporation, but it IS a big deal

if it's your house, condo, car, or front yard that's contaminated.

2)  Are you, Mr. Homeowner, going to abandon your uninsured property because

you might run a 1:1,000,000 (or even 1:10,000) risk of cancer in the distant

future?  I don't think so. I think such limits would do more harm than good

(look at Chernobyl for this one; it's now becoming clear that the disruption

in lives from the evacuation of the 30 km zone was far more damaging to

health than the radiation could EVER have been). The financial and emotional

repercussions of the use of routine release limits in this situation are

preposterous.  They certainly fail any ALARA formula that I'm aware of.

3)  Should the government be the insurer of last resort?  If so, then does it

make sense to even CONSIDER using routine EPA release limits in one of these

scenarios, or are we ready to devise some more realistic scenarios as the

basis of limits as it would apply to FINANCIAL and emotional disruption on a

massive scale.  The government did provide support funds in the aftermath of

the WTC, but that emanated from a widespread sense of shock and dismay felt

throughout the country. I suspect we are just a little bit more hardened now,

and that the government will not be quite so willing to do the same thing

again if there's a next time around; the psychology will be quite different,

I think.

It does suggest, however, that we should be getting together some type of

gov't assisted insurance arrangements (perhaps FEMA) to deal with these

events. We have the California Earthquake Authority here in LA as private

insurance companies won't touch such insurance after the Northridge and San

Francisco quakes of the 1990's. I think the model would work for terrorism

insurance.

4)  Further, I don't think you have to get rid of LNT to address the

situation. I think the point is that when people are confronted with

significant personal financial losses or the option of wholesale

displacement, they will become a bit more willing to tolerate some

radioactive contamination.  My concern is that this is not being properly

explored by the regulatory or professional communities in order to try to

come to grips with what IS a reasonable "tolerable living" (not

necessarily "release") criteria for an attack zone.  I think that can be

derived within the framework of LNT (I'm not saying LNT is right or wrong

here; all I'm saying is that given the type of losses such an attack would

represent, the tolerance factor of the risk equation would probably be

drastically changed, enough that a regulatory / political solution could be

developed).

5)  It may be that we don't really need refined criteria.  For example, we

could say that a dose limit of 5,000 mrem per year in an area would be

acceptable (say on a voluntary basis) for the first year post-attack.  I have

to think that in most cases, simple decon with hoses would be able to knock

most locations well under that limit.  Then EPA (or whoever) could publish

new guidelines or limits based upon an evaluation of the situation as it

existed at the time, and could promulgate it within (say) 6 months post-

attack. But at any rate, the approach should be discussed now; not two days

after an event. The limits could then be refined over time.

I think it's time to get out of the box and really start taking a look at all

the assumptions being tossed around and come up with contingency plans that

will work in the short, interim, and long term. I think we all understand the

problem now; what is needed is some innovative approaches to resolving it,

not saying that we'll tear down half of New York city because we can't get a

storage closet below 100 dpm/100 cm2.

Jim Barnes, CHP