Re: Making it real

Ted:

Sorry for the delay in responding.  First, a parable, which actually

happened to me (can parables be true???).  As many graduate students are

wont to do, I was seated at the bar in the Iron Bull Tavern in the U.

District of the University of Washington, about 1964.  A chap sat down

beside me and showed me a number of those famous tavern puzzles, with

matches, coins, or logic problems, etc.  For a dollar or so each, he showed

me the answers to the tricks.

After taking a couple of bucks from me, I asked him about the revenues he

generated from these tavern activities.  He then proceeded to tell me his

personal philosophy about it.  He said "Do you recall the saying that a fool

and his money are soon parted?"  I said yes.  Well he said his philosophy

was that "It was immoral NOT to separate a fool from his money!!"

As someone retired from the nuclear industry and active on many fronts of

science communications, this philosophy pretty much describes many in the

nuclear industry.  It is not in the commercial interest of hundreds of

companies  to support, let alone fight for, a rational basis for regulating

radiation doses.  Simply put the tighter the regs (no matter how

indefensible) the more revenues are generated for these industries to

consume. For the record I am not exempting the lying green swine for the 30

years of massive public fear they and their media lapdogs have created.

The same applies for many utilities.  They don't fight the LNT simply

because they can usually get the easier approvals of the PUCs to pass the

inflated compliance costs through to the ratepayers.  The NRC has on

occasion appeared with the utilities at PUC hearings for added legitimacy!!

Obviously to fight the LNT would also incur bad PR, which is a second reason

for laying down.  The ratepayers get screwed of course, but they think

(because they have been told by an unintelligent media) they are buying

added safety measures, which they aren't.  What we have on our hands is yet

another example of the Baptists and the bootleggers.  With the eager help of

major media the greens scare the hell out of the public, and the dubious

corporations and utilities help spend the requisite 10s of billions to

"protect" the public from all of that harm!!!  Its been quite a team effort,

and the ratepayers and taxpayers pick up the tab. And as a later day Nero,

the DOE pushes windmills, incredible.

My real point for this e:mail is this.  You asked for a suggestion or two.

As a good starting point for you I direct your attention to the GAO Report

"Nuclear Health and Safety: Consensus on Acceptable Risk to the Public is

Lacking, RCED-94-190, Sept. 19, 1994".  In figure 24, the report lists 15

different radiation standards or guidelines and the agencies responsible.

These are not necessarily a complete federal set, nor do they include any of

the various state regulations.

Further the table includes the calculated lifetime risk (from presumed LNT

considerations) of premature cancer death for lifetime exposures at the

various 15 different limits.  The range of risks derived from these various

radiation dose limits is an amazing 38,000.  If the LNT were applied

consistently we'd expect a range of around 1!!! After all radiation is a

single "threat" to a single target, humans.

Thus, the situation is worse than we think.  Not only is the indefensible

LNT inflicted upon an unknowing society, it is applied inconsistently.

Political agendas are at work, not science.  And the regulators don't even

blush.

Mike Fox