Re: Dirty Bomb Rescue Worker

10 CFR does NOT mandate an exposure limit for rescue.  In fact, 10 CFR 20.1001(b) states, "...nothing in this part shall be construed as limiting actions that may be necessary to protect health and safety."

Nuclear power plants generally adopt the guidlines of EPA 400-R-92-001 "Manualof Protective Action Guides And Protective Actions For Nuclear Incidents," Table 2-2, "Guidance on Dose Limits for Workers Performing Emergency Services."  This has a "Dose limit" of 25 rems for "life saving or protection of large populations", if "lower dose not practicable"; but permits exceeding that limit, "only on a voluntary basis to persons fully aware of the

risks involved..."

These are incorporated into plant emergency plans, often without the provision for > 25 rems.  Generally, Emergency Director (or equivalent) approval is needed to exceed 5 rems.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com