Off-Site Preparedness for Indian Point Energy Center

http://www.fema.gov/txt/indian_point_letter.txt

July 25, 2003

The Honorable George Pataki

State Capitol

Albany, New York 12224

Dear Governor Pataki:

I am writing to transmit the Federal Emergency

Management Agency's (FEMA) determination of reasonable

assurance that the off-site preparedness for the

Indian Point Energy Center (Indian Point) is adequate.

  I also want to outline the additional actions FEMA

is prepared to take to help make the region a model of

preparedness for the nation.

Basis for Determination

After carefully considering all available information,

we have reasonable assurance that appropriate

protective measures to protect the health and safety

of surrounding communities can be taken and are

capable of being implemented in the event of a

radiological incident at the Indian Point facility.

Emergency planning for Indian Point is an on-going,

cyclical process.  In early 2003, FEMA reviewed in

detail all of the State and local plans received since

the late summer of 2002 and notified the State and

local counties of additional improvements needed in

the plans. At present, three of the counties - Putnam,

Orange, and Rockland - have updated their plans and

provided an annotated list of their changes.

Westchester County has also updated its plans with the

assistance of outside contractors, but Westchester has

refused to provide FEMA with a copy of those detailed

plan updates.  However, Westchester County has

demonstrated an adequate level of preparedness by

actively exercising their plans and participating in

other planning and training events.  Our finding

is based on the following:

- Our February 21, 2003 letter transmitting the Indian

Point 2002 Exercise

Report to New York State reported that the September

2002 full-scale

exercise of local emergency response plans was

successful, with no

Deficiencies in the off-site emergency protective

measures used.

- In the most recent out-of-sequence demonstrations

and drills related to the

September 2002 exercise, the State and counties have

continued to

successfully demonstrate their ability to respond to

the scenarios presented.

- In our review, it is apparent that the plans from

Rockland, Orange and Putnam

counties have been further updated since the September

2002 exercise to

address: (1) the 2003 Evacuation Time Estimate Studies

(ETE), with shadow

evacuation estimates; (2) Letters of Agreement between

counties and resource

providers, such as bus companies; and (3) planning for

schoolchildren with

appropriate notification and protective action

decisions.  These plans,

including Westchester County's plan, will be tested in

the scheduled exercise

in the middle of 2004.

- Although Westchester County has not permitted a

detailed review by FEMA

of its updated plans the County has worked with

Entergy to update its plans in

response to comments from FEMA, it continues to

participate in all drills, and

continues to demonstrate its involvement by leading

the Four County Nuclear

Safety Committee and by attending other training and

planning events.

The Future Security of Indian Point

security of Indian Point, FEMA has

been working with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission

(NRC) to ensure that your issues

are addressed.  To demonstrate our commitment to help

the State and affected counties

become a model of preparedness for the nation, FEMA

and the NRC will work with New

York to include a simulated terrorist scenario as part

of the next emergency planning

exercise for Indian Point currently planned for the

middle of 2004.  In addition, our

regional office in New York will conduct additional

training and provide further technical

assistance on preparing for and responding to Weapons

of Mass Destruction attacks.  To

fulfill your prior request that FEMA and the NRC

review the safety of the Indian Point

site, FEMA officials are available to meet with you to

discuss federal guidance for offsite

planning as they relate to potential terrorist

threats.

We look forward to close coordination with your office

to accomplish our mutual goal of

assuring that the emergency response plans and

preparedness not only continue to be

adequate to protect the public health and safety but

become a model for the nation.   We

remain available to meet with your office to further

discuss our joint efforts and your

suggestions regarding an improved radiological

emergency planning process.

Sincerely,

R. David Paulison

Director, Preparedness Division