I-125 in I-126

Iodine-126 is an impurity that is created during the irradiation of the

Xe-124 to Xe-125.  Some of the Xe-125 decays to I-125 during the irradiation

process, which is then irradiated to create I-126.  The shorter the

irradiation time, the less I-125.  This is, in theory, how I-126

contamination is reduced using the batch method of production.  Yes, you can

let the I-126 decay out to acceptable levels but you also lose I-125

activity.  We use a

closed loop system to produce I-125 with I-126 impurity levels <0.001%

(typical levels are <0.0001%).  Currently, we are the only domestic source

of I-125 in the U.S.  For more information, you can visit our website at

http://mnrc.ucdavis,edu

Jeff Ching

UCD/MNRC Health Physics Supervisor

jkching@ucdavis.edu