My comments and citations reagarding Dr. Gofman

Dear all,

I am responding to the following from Mr. Ricciuti (niagranet).

-------------------------------------

RE: RICCIUTI Comment

It is interesting to note that Mr. Barnes comment is sans accreditation

regarding the  Silkwood-v-Kerr-McGee case and Gofman's expert testimony. What

Mr. James Barnes failed to mention in his attempt to discredit Dr. John

Gofman, was, that the "quotation/citation" he used were apparently the

comments of the plaintiff's attorney and not the finding of the court. The

"citation", quoted by Barnes as being from American Jurisprudence, Proof of

Facts, can be found in the previous posting he made. When researched, it was

found that Chief Judge Emeritus, United States District Court--District of

Kansas, Judge Frank G. Theis, Senior Judge in the above referenced case found

quite differently than was quoted by Barnes regarding Dr. John Gofman and

Karl Morgan as expert witnesses. See: The Angry Genie, Karl Z. Morgan,

University of Oklahoma Press, Independent Appraisal of John Gofman and Karl

Morgan as witnesses by Judge Theis, pages 171, 172, 173-Appendix 6.

It is a shame to try and sully this or any scientist through outright

purposeful misdirection, misinformation and attempted

discrediting actions. I am surprised at the level of this deception.

My comments and respect for Gofman remain unshaken.

Mr. Barnes, care to respond as to your actions with this previously

requested "citation"? Why would you quote from the

plaintiff's attorney in this fashion--in effect lying about a person and

their credibility? This is where you lose yours.

Sincerely,

Louis Ricciuti,

writer, Niagara Falls

The Bomb That Fell On Niagara "

---------------------------------------

In June, Mr. Riciutti protested the treatment of Dr. John Gofman on Radsafe.

He stated:

"And just WHO are We to be taking pot shots at a career spanning five or six

decades? Show me those references to his discredit--if you please."

In the discussion, he cited several biographical reviews of Dr. Gofman's

expansive career, and indeed these reviews appear to demonstrate Dr. Gofman's

expertise in a number of scientific areas. Nevertheless, Dr. Gofman's work in

radiation science has been controversial and not widely accepted by his

peers. I attempted to respond to his question.

I cited the following quote from American Jurisprudence, Proof of Facts,

(David Gooden, M.S., Ph.D., J.D.).  On page 129, Dr. Gooden cites the

following passage regarding Dr. Gofman's expert testimony in the Johnson

case. Unfortunately, I had misread a footnote in Dr. Gooden's book, and

misquoted the citation as Silkwood; it should have been Johnson. I

immediately reposted to RadSafe and reported and corrected the error soon

afterwards (within hours of the original post). I have reconstructed the

original thread below so that the exchange is intact.

As the thread is about 6 months old, I repeat the citation here. I have

corrected the (In Silkwood) of the original posting to (In Johnson) to

correct my citation error, and have corrected the mis-citation:

[From Gooden]

". . . . (T)estimony which differs significantly from recognized national and

international standards should raise considerable suspicion.

One court noted the existence of a small but vocal minority of scientists

whose views are generally not followed by the majority of scientists, but who

have been called as expert witnesses in radiation injury cases. . . .(In

Johnson,) (t)he court went to the extraordinary effort of striking one

witness's testimony entirely and ignoring the second witness's testimony

totally.  Regarding these witnesses, the court stated:

[I have deleted the discussion of the other expert witness as it does not

relate to Dr. Gofman - jgb]

. . . In light of all that has been said here, the Court disagrees with the

basis on which Dr. Gofman has made his opinion and will ignore it in its

entirety.  Doubtless this will offend the sensitivities of this most

confident witness; notwithstanding that, the Court knows now that no matter

what esteem he claims, he is not a certified health physicist, and while a

physician he does NOT (emphasis in the original) examine or treat patients.

He enjoys emeritus status at the University of California at Berkeley, but

has NO office, nor access to any laboratory or library, and he teaches NO

ONE!  From what this Court can garner, it appears that his principal

activities are writing books and testifying in the courtroom. . . .

. . . . Dr. Gofman represent(s) the views of an extreme minority of

scientists.  This is not a situation where the scientific community is

equally divided between two respected schools of thought.  It is a case where

there is a very small, but yet very vocal group of scientists, including Dr.

Gofman, that hold views which are not considered credible by the experts in

the field."

[cited from Johnston vs. United States. (1984 DC Kan) 597 Supp 374, 410-411

(corrected from Silkwood).]

-----------------------------

----------------------------

The original request was "Show me those references to his discredit--if you

please."  I provided one.

My orginal quotation was mis-referenced, which I corrected as soon as I was

aware of it.  The quote used in Gooden, appears to have been accurately

reported in the original reference, and I believe I have properly extracted

the details regarding Dr. Gofman from that citation. Other scientists were

mentioned, but I excluded them as the specific request was for references

regarding Dr. Gofman. The mis-citation may have caused some confusion, which

is unfortunate, but I did correct it when I found out about it (see the

original thread below).

Further, I have obtained the original transcript of the Johnson case.  The

Judge was J. Kelly, and the opinions were those of the Judge himself. The

quotes cited in my reference are, in fact, in the court record. As I

mentioned, I abbreviated them in order to specifically address the court's

opinions of Dr. Gofman as a radiation scientist and to confine the discussion

to Dr. Gofman (again, JUST as a radiation scientist), but I did not change or

alter the meaning of the court's statement by doing so (see Section VI in

Johnson, "Application of Scientific Knowledge to the Facts of the Case").

But while we're on the subject, Judge Kelly had some more interesting points

to make:

". . . .(T)he opinions of Dr. . . Gofman must be rejected . . . because not

only (has he) never served on any of these extremely relevant committees

(BEIR, ICRP, etc. -- jgb), but also has (not) accepted the consensus reports

of the committees as reliable authorities. It is not the court which has

chosen to separate . . . Dr. Gofman from the vast majority of respected

radiation scientists.  (He has) chosen to separate (him)self by rejecting as

reliable authorities the very documents which represent the scientific

consensus in this particular field."

". . .(H)e has become (an) advocate for a cause and (has) therefore departed

from the ranks of objective expert witnesses. . . ."

"Dr. Gofman's demeanor in court shows that he is an open advocate for the

argument that radiation is more harmful than all the world's experts

believe. . . .This Court cannot believe that all of the most eminent

radiation scientists in this country and the entire world are as incompetent

as Dr. Gofman claims, and that only Dr. Gofman has been able to define the

true risks of radiation.  This Court finds that Dr. Gofman's dramatic

conflict with all of the world's radiation experts creates a bias in him

which destroys his credibility as an objective expert witness in radiation

cases.  His obsession blinds his objectivity! (exclamation point in original)"

I also refer to "Permissible Dose" (J. Samual Walker. University of

California Press.  2000.  ISBN 0-520-22328-4.  pp. 36 - 44.) which discusses

Dr. Gofman's involvement in a debate of dose limitation regulations conducted

in the Atomic Energy Commission in the late 1960's (pp.36-44). I quote:

"The AEC found Gofman's analysis unpersuasive on a number of grounds.  One

was (his) extrapolation from high doses of radiation to estimate the hazards

of low-level exposure.  This assumed that small doses delivered over a long

period caused as much somatic damage as an acute dose. Although the evidence

was not definitive, there were strong indications that low doses over an

extended period of time were less harmful than heavy doses in a short time.

In short, the dose rate was an important consideration in estimating

radiation hazards. The AEC also noted that other experts had considered the

same data as Gofman . . . and judged the risks to be much lower. The

Livermore scientist(')s conclusions were not derived from new findings or

original research.  The difference lay not in the "hard evidence" (he)

claimed to have but in the interpretation of existing data. The AEC denied

that Gofman . . . had proven that (his) interpretation was more convincing

than that of other radiation experts."

It is clear that Mr. Ricciuti holds Dr. Gofman in some esteem.  That is

certainly his perogative, and more power to him.

Nevertheless, the request was to provide some evidence regarding why Dr.

Gofman's work was not held in such esteem by others.

I believe these citations correctly convey why that is so.

Jim Barnes

[These are my personal opinions only.]

[The thread I responded to is provided below]