Depleted Uranium "Smuggling" Story Rehash

Radsafe:

The recent thread on Radsafe about a new ABC "news" story regarding the supposed

smuggling of DU into the US reminded me that this same example of "agenda

journalism" was reported by ABC News in Sept. 2002. It appears ABC News has just

dusted off an earlier piece of worthless sensationalism and agenda journalism and

tried to get a bit more milage out of it in scaring a confused and anxious

American public.

Nice of ABC news to give the American people such a thoughtful Holiday present.

It is worth noting that the medical/science Editor for ABC News' 20/20 is Brenda

Breslauser who worked closely with ABC's 20/20 talking head Brian Ross on stories

like the DU threat in ABC's original report on this story in September 2002. Ms.

Breslauer, ABC's "Medical and Science Editor" was an English major in college, so

perhaps it is understandable that ABC cannot get a science story told without

sensationalizing, or misrepresenting it.

For the record, copied below is a letter I sent to Brian Ross on Sept. 10, 2002

about the first DU scare story  run by ABC news about DU "smuggling". As

expected, Brian Ross and ABC news did not respond in any way to their fabricating

a worthless and sensationalistic story about DU smuggling.

What is mildly surprising is that ABC appears to have the journalistic lack of

integrity to just rerun the same story theme 15 months later as if it were

"news".

Oh well. In any case, best Holiday wishes to all Radsafers and hope everyone has

a healthy, productive New Year despite DU being "smuggled" into the US. Perhaps

we can derive some small bit of comic relief in recognizing that the major risk

of DU in these quantities being carried into the US is to the "smuggler" should

they have the misfortune to drop a few kg of it on their toes.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health

Consulting Scientist

[203] 367-0791

COPY OF SEPT. 10, 2002 LETTER TO ABC'S BRIAN ROSS [20/20 Reporter] AND BRENDA

BRESLAUER [Medical/Science Editor ABC News]: