Article in "The Dominion Post" in Morgantown, WV

Fellow RADSAFERS ?

We might not find it so hard to find orange fiestaware now ... <slight grin> ... after this guy claims that the orange glaze on Fiestaware is "dangerous, because it contains uranium. Guess I'll be able to get a few more "show and tell" items and check sources. I didn't know Fiestaware constituted a "public health crisis".

URL = http://www.dominionpost.com/a/news/2004/01/01/br/

Jim Hardeman

Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

P.S. Wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year to all of you!

DEAR DR. GOTT: My friend claims that certain radioactive dishes, cups and plates constitute a potential public health crisis. This sounds too outrageous to be true.

DEAR READER: But it is true.

The product your friend referred to is called Fiestaware. The ceramic portion of these dishes and cups is harmless. It is the orange and red glazes that are so dangerous, because they contained uranium. My consultant tells me that orange Fiestaware made in the 1930s, '40s and '60s is the most affected and is, unfortunately, the most collectible. People display Fiestaware in their homes and, in many cases, eat and drink from the dishware, without a clue that the products are radioactive.

With the high incidence of cancer in this country, one might well wonder whether this radioactive exposure could be playing a role. Those people who own Fiestaware dating back to the '30s, '40s and '60s should have the products checked with a Geiger counter.

Also, Vaseline glass (another collectable) that is colored chartreuse may be contaminated by uranium. These products should also be checked for radiation hazard.