Re: Article in "The Dominion Post" in Morgantown, WV

On the education front, I think it would be good idea

if someone would write to the Dr. Gott and the this

paper to inform them that this is not a health issue.

I believe there is an NRC paper that says that Fiesta

ware is exempt.

--- Jim Hardeman <Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us> wrote:

> Fellow RADSAFERS ¯

> We might not find it so hard to find orange

> fiestaware now ... <slight grin> ... after this guy

> claims that the orange glaze on Fiestaware is

> "dangerous, because it contains uranium. Guess I'll

> be able to get a few more "show and tell" items and

> check sources. I didn't know Fiestaware constituted

> a "public health crisis".

> URL =

> http://www.dominionpost.com/a/news/2004/01/01/br/

> Jim Hardeman

> Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

> P.S. Wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year to

> all of you!

> DEAR DR. GOTT: My friend claims that certain

> radioactive dishes, cups and plates constitute a

> potential public health crisis. This sounds too

> outrageous to be true.

> DEAR READER: But it is true.

> The product your friend referred to is called

> Fiestaware. The ceramic portion of these dishes and

> cups is harmless. It is the orange and red glazes

> that are so dangerous, because they contained

> uranium. My consultant tells me that orange

> Fiestaware made in the 1930s, '40s and '60s is the

> most affected and is, unfortunately, the most

> collectible. People display Fiestaware in their

> homes and, in many cases, eat and drink from the

> dishware, without a clue that the products are

> radioactive.

> With the high incidence of cancer in this country,

> one might well wonder whether this radioactive

> exposure could be playing a role. Those people who

> own Fiestaware dating back to the '30s, '40s and

> '60s should have the products checked with a Geiger

> counter.

> Also, Vaseline glass (another collectable) that is

> colored chartreuse may be contaminated by uranium.

> These products should also be checked for radiation

> hazard.

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist