Re: Deadly wind turbines

Jan. 2

	The article said, "Scientists estimate as many as 44,000 birds have been

killed over the past two decades . . ."  (It didn't specify who the

scientists were, nor describe their methodologies, nor where - nor if -

their findings had been published.)  Also:  "Federal law enforcement agents

pick up more than 1,000 dead birds a year."

	For some reason the dead birds are saved, at least for a while.  The

article began by saying "The freezers at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife

Department in the Sacramento Valley are overflowing" with the bodies of

dead birds.

	Dean Chaney said he'd never seen any dead birds lying around a windmill

farm.  Birds are relatively small, and if the road is far enough from the

turbines, and if the area is grassy or brushy, it might not be possible to

see the decedent birds unless one were to get out and walk around under the

turbines.  (I've never been near a windmill farm so this suggestion is only

a guess on my part.)

	I made the initial posting about this and did so in a somewhat tongue in

cheek context.  My reason was to obliquely point out that green power has

some environmental drawbacks, and to point out that no birds are being

killed by power reactors.  Neither are any people.  (That's for you, Norm

Cohen).

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com