Re: Obtaining old HHSC references

At 11:30 AM 1/4/2004, Ed Waller wrote:

>Happy New Year RadSafers!

>I was wondering if anyone knows where one might obtain a copy of HHSC

>Handook No. 15 entitled "Bremsstrahlung from Radionuclides - Practical

>Guidance for Radiation Protection" by I.S. McLinktock.

>Apparently, HHSC does not publish anymore, and have sold off their assets

>to a company called SafChem, who only sell 4 of the later references

>(http://www.sheilapantry.com/safchem/books/hhscbks.htm)  To me, this

>suggests that they are abandoned references. I would be happy to buy this

>new or used, but I am quite happy to accept any alternate suggestions ;-)

>Also, does anyone know of a more available comprehensive reference in this

>area?

>Regards,  Ed  (ed.waller@uoit.ca)

>with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at

>http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

Dear Ed and Radsafers:

I don't know anything about the book you're looking for, but there is an

excellent paper that has the brem equivalent of specific gamma ray

constants for beta emitters used in medicine.  The brem constants are for

radionuclides in soft tissue and in bone.  This reference is very useful

for radiation protection.  It is:  Zanzonico Pat B., Binkert Barbara L.,

and Goldsmith Stanley J.: Bremsstrahlung radiation exposure from pure

beta-ray emitters.  Jour. Nucl. Med. 40:1024-1028, 1999.

These authors also had a poster of sorts (or an exhibit) at a Society of

Nuclear Medicine annual meeting in June of 1997.  It was abstract no.

1317.  It also included brem constants for radionuclides that emit beta and

gamma radiations.  I copied down the values, but you might try getting a

reprint from Pat.  He is at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in New York, and his

e-mail is <zanzonip@mskcc.org>.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

csmarcus@ucla.edu