Re: Pathological Epidemiology (was"I spent 10 years in  radiation dat a and emerged as the foremost expert ...")

In another life (when she addressed one of my classes in the late 1970s), Rosalie Bertell appeared to be a competent statistician.  She gave a very interesting talk about the Tri-State Leukemia Survey (showing that the best predictor of adult onset leukemia appearedto be age).  I can't figure out what has happened to her.

However, the statement about thyroid activity caught my eye.  As Bertell ought to know, radiation damage to the thyroid sufficient to cause noticeable weight gain also results in a number of more severe symptoms.  First of all, the weight gain is rapid and appears to be uncontrollable.  It is accompanied by marked changes in the victim's facial appearance: puffy eyes, exaggeration of the epicanthal fold, dull hair, a general appearance of sleepiness and inattention.  Also, there should be SOME correlation between dose and thyroid function.

Bottom line: people aren't too fat because ionizing radiation has damaged their thyroids.

Ruth

--

Ruth F. Weiner

ruthweiner@aol.com