Re: 'Dirty Bomb' Was Major New Year's Worry

Yes I can speak from some experience that they are fully capable of doing

what they need to do.  I cannot discuss specifically what type of

instruments are used but yes they can look for neutron as well as gamma and

can do isotopic identification. I you reread the article it discusses their

use of  instruments that are disguised as various commonly seen objects

such as coolers, briefcases, etc., not just the pagers.

These teams have been around for many years, it's just that most people

didn't know they existed.  The "dirty bomb" may be something that the

public has only recently been exposed to but the concept and contingency

planning for it has been around for quite awhile.  After all, if you

already have teams and equipment prepared to deal with nuclear weapon type

incidents it doesn't take much effort to add simple radiological weapons to

your list of things to worry about.

One of the side effects of this homeland security paranoia has been the

increasing commercial availability of instruments that were formerly pretty

much just used in the emergency response/special operations world.  As an

example, I have a SAM 935 from Berkeley Nucleonics w/ a  3"x3" NaI and

pressurized He detector set up for doing field spectroscopy as well as SNM

screening.  Exploranium sells the GR-135 which can come with neutron

detection as well as the NaI (and/or CsI) gamma spec. I also have a gamma

pager which I consider to be very sensitive, although not very

"smart".  There is a neutron version available but I cannot say how well it

works.  I believe that it uses separate detectors for gamma and neutron.

At 10:04 AM 1/8/04, you wrote:

>  Do you actually know what their instrumentation is or is this just another

>summary of the kind "it is OK because it just has to be"? I would really

>be interested in the physics behind a pager-sized detector capable to

>see neutrons and stay blind for the gamma... or have the resolution it

>takes to see which is which.

>Dimiter

>Dimiter Popoff

>Transgalactic Instruments, Gourko Str. 25 b, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria

>http://transgalactic.freeyellow.com

Kim Merritt

Radiation/Laser Safety Officer

HazMed, Inc.

NASA Langley Research Center

Hampton, VA

(757)864-3210

<mailto:k.merritt@larc.nasa.gov>

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed herein are my own and do not

necessarily state or reflect those of NASA or the United States Government,

nor do they represent the official position of NASA.