RE: Fwd: Ukraine shuts down nuclear reactor after fire: report

Big yawn.  This is a transformer failure that just happened to take place on

a NPP site.  The most common failure mechanism is internal arcing (i.e.,

insulator breakdown) resulting in the formation of acetylene in the

(non-PCB) transformer oil (Gotta love those triple carbon bonds and the

energy they release!)  At most US power plants (non-nuke & nuke alike) ,

blast walls are constructed between transformers to minimize collateral

damage in case of catastrophic failure.  They're also piped with rather

large deluge systems.  Despite sampling and analysis programs, these kind of

failures occur several times (10^0-10^1/y) in the US.

George J. Vargo, Ph.D., CHP

Senior Scientist

MJW Corporation

http://www.mjwcorp.com