Re: 'Dirty Bomb' Was Major New Year's Worry

Can I assume that all of the first responders will

have the technology and expertise to properly

determine the existence of a "dirty bomb?"  Or will we

have to wait for the experts to get here?

--- Jim Hardeman <Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us> wrote:

> Kim et al.

> My staff and I participated in training with these

> folks a few years back ... they have both gamma and

> neutron detection capability ... pretty good on both

> counts, in my opinion. Can't remember if they

> capture spectral analysis info from hand-carried

> detectors or not. They had NO problem at all seeing

> a shielded Cs-137 box calibrator inside a "butler

> building" from well outside that building, on the

> state defense dept. reservation where we conducted

> the training. Plus, the folks carrying these

> instruments are savvy enough, IMHO, to understand

> that you don't necessarily need a neutron signature.

> Oh ... the detectors they show on TV aren't the

> "good stuff" <grin>

. . .

=====

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist