Re: 'Dirty Bomb' Was Major New Year's Worry

Gerry Blackwood wrote: "...they are looking for a neutron signature, as you

would find in spent fuel, weapons-grade plutonium..."

If that is a statement of fact, then the government must know something

about the availability of these materials that they are not sharing with us.

As someone else mentioned, the obvious candidates for a dirty bomb are all

gamma emitters. So, if the government is ignoring gamma emitters and is only

looking for neutrons ... (you fill in the blank!)

I said it before and I'll say it again: The decision to exclude citizens

from civil defense was a bad one. If there is someone running around with a

bunch of spent fuel or enough Pu to make an effective dirty bomb, then the

public should know!

Kai