From: John Jacobus [mailto:crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM]

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 3:40 PM

To: Suleiman, Orhan; 'Flanigan, Floyd'; Wes Van Pelt; David Hornsey;

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: TLD badge dose

When you look at some of the newer scanning units,

they are really CT scanner.  I would expect the doses

to be significantly higher than the "standard"

carry-on scanners which are like fluoro units.

--- "Suleiman, Orhan" <SuleimanO@cder.fda.gov> wrote:

> The conventional x-ray baggage security systems are

> very low dose, but some

> of the new federal TSA screening systems advise

> passengers to NOT allow

> cameras with film because of the much higher doses.

>  Film is relatively

> insensitive to x-rays (We published a study several

> years go that showed

> medical x-ray film, without an intensifying screen,

> required more radiation

> than a patient did for conventional x-ray

> examinations), so when

> conventional film is precluded from scanning

> equipment, I suspect the doses

> are very high.  Unfortunately I do not have any

> actual data for the newer

> systems, but the reported doses are not surprising

> to me.

=====

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government

working for you."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS