Re: WIPP shipment through Albq. NM

The fog defense statement was my attempt at humor.  Obviously, I'm not about

to quit my day job!

My initial posting simply stated that placarded shipments should avoid going

thru  a city if a suitable alternate route is available.  I also

acknowledged that there may be cases where there is no such alternate route,

e.g., getting out of Long Island.  Exactly what is unreasonable about that?

I'm also getting tired of the argument that we should spend less on "heavily

regulated and protected low and intermediate rad waste shipments" and more

on chemical, ... safety.  There are two problems with that:  1.  Spending

less on  radiological shipments would not necessarily mean spending more on

other safety issues.  2.  Nonradioactive hazardous shipments, safety, and

environmental issues are already heavily regulated.

BTW, if I'm missing something, here, please let me know, but I do not see

how the Albq. hearing will accomplish much more than allowing the public to

let off steam.  DOT preemption powers are well-established.  An  "I know

better than  you." presentation will accompish nothing more than reinforcing

public concerns.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton